Obtaining Probate Records
All documents on Trust and Estate cases initiated after February 5, 2007 as well as all Probate Notes for hearings after February 5, 2007, are available using the court's online document viewer. The online document viewer will also allow you to see which documents were filed, but not view the documents, for all Guardianship and Conservatorship cases filed after February 5, 2007 as well as many older Trust, Estate, Guardianship, and Conservatorship cases.
For cases that are not on the online document viewer, you may go to the Probate Unit located on the second floor, room 214, of the William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse. The unit is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding court holidays. Probate records that are housed onsite may be viewed during business hours. Older files are stored off-site and must be ordered in advance. It takes 3 to 5 business days to receive files from the off-site facility. If you know your case number, you can order the file in advance by calling the Probate Unit at 916-875-3400.
If you do not know your case number, you can find it on the Court's Case Index. A request for copies of probate documents can be submitted in person or by mail. To obtain copies of documents by mail, the following must be provided:
- A check made payable to "Superior Court of California, County of Sacramento." Print your name, address, phone number, and your driver's license number (include the expiration date) on the check;
- Print "Not to exceed $30.00" in the lower left-hand corner on the memo line of your check. Once your request is filled, we will fill in the amount on the check. If the amount submitted is not sufficient to cover the costs, the court will contact you by mail or phone to obtain the correct amount;
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of documents;
- Provide the full names of the parties to the case, including first, middle, and last name;
- Provide the approximate year of filing and case number, if known;
- State whether you need a certified copy of the document (governmental agencies may require certified copies);
- Include your name, address and phone number to ensure the return of documents and assess if we need to contact you regarding any questions we may have about your request.
- There are various fees that could be incurred when requesting copies.
- If the amount is not sufficient to cover the costs, the court will contact you by phone or mail to obtain the correct amount.
- Depending on the age of your file, your request may take three to six weeks to process.
Mail your request to:
William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse
ATTENTION: Probate Correspondence, Room 214
3341 Power Inn Road
Sacramento, CA 95826
If you wish to obtain copies in person, the Probate Unit is located on the second floor, room 214, at the William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse at 3341 Power Inn Road, (1/2 mile South of Folsom Blvd.). A photocopy machine is available for public use at $.15 per copy, or $.50 per copy for documents using the online document viewer. If you don't know your case number, you can locate it using the Court's Case Index.
Please note: Older files are maintained at an off-site warehouse. When ordering in person, you will need to make two trips to our office (one trip to order the file and the second trip to review the file once received from the warehouse).