You may choose to attend Traffic Violator School for certain vehicle violations.
Pursuant to California Rules of Court 4.104 - external link, you must meet the following conditions in order to be eligible for Traffic Violator School:
- You must have a valid non-commercial driver's license.
- For violations occurring 01/01/2013 and after, a commercial license holder may be allowed to attend traffic school for a violation committed in a personal vehicle, but only if there is no failure to appear and only for the purpose of counting negligent operation points. The conviction will not be marked as confidential for insurance purposes.
- For violations occurring 12/31/2012 and before, a commercial license holder may not attend traffic school regardless of the vehicle they were driving.
WARNING: If you are not eligible to attend, but do so anyway, the conviction will be reported on your driving record and there will be no refund of any fees paid.
Payment and Fees
If you meet all of the conditions listed above, you may choose to attend Traffic Violator School.
You must post full bail plus any required proof of correction plus a $52.00 non-refundable administrative fee.
No monthly payments will be allowed. Payment in full must be received within 90 days of the court approving your request for traffic violator school. You must also pay a fee to the school you attend, and the cost varies from school to school.
Requesting Traffic School
There are different ways you can request Traffic School:
- You may sign up for Traffic Violator School through the Public Case Access System. You are given the option to either pay your fine (bail) in full, or request 90 days to pay the fine (bail) in full.
- You may request Traffic Violator School and pay your fine (bail) in person at the Traffic Public Counter or by clicking HERE to speak with a clerk at the Traffic Virtual Public Counter. You will be given the option to either pay your fine (bail) in full or request 90 days to pay the fine in full. You must have your case number, picture identification and credit card information available. Assistance is available Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding court holidays).
- You may request Traffic Violator School and pay your fine (bail) and fees by calling 916-669-5712. You must have your case number or citation number and credit card information available. Once your traffic violator school request has been granted, you will be mailed an agreement to attend with a web link to obtain an approved list of schools. Home study and internet courses are allowed. Phone Assistance is available Monday - Friday 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday - 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., reduced hours on some holidays.
- Mail the request for traffic school to:
Carol Miller Justice Center
301 Bicentennial Circle, Room 100
Sacramento, CA 95826
Attention: Traffic Violator School
Failure to Complete
Failure to complete traffic violator school and/or failure to pay the fines and fees may result in additional penalties added to your case, and a conviction will be reported on your driving record at the Department of Motor Vehicles. You will be unable to attend traffic violator school for 18 months. Furthermore, the full balance due (minus any previously forfeited bail) will be forwarded to a collection agency. Once your case is in collections, the court no longer has jurisdiction, and you will not be allowed to return to court to discuss your case.
If you have already signed up for traffic violator school and need further assistance or you need more information, please appear in person at the Traffic Public Counter or by clicking HERE to speak with a clerk at the Traffic Virtual Public Counter. Assistance is available Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding court holidays. Alternatively, you may call (916) 669-5712. Phone assistance is available Monday - Friday 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday - 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., reduced hours on some holidays.
Please have your case number and picture identification available.